How to deal with 'SMTP could not authenticate' error?
If you ever get an error message in our web-app stating ' SMTP Error: Could not authenticate', this could happen due to the following reasons:
1. You might have entered the wrong credentials.
- Email address and user name should be the same.
- Use the same password as that of your mailbox.
2. You might have provided the wrong account settings.
- Confirm your SMTP server address, TLS Port number or SSL Port number from your Email Service Provider and enter accordingly.
3. If you still receive the error and updating the correct settings, then one of the following issues might have occurred:
- Your Email Service Provider might not be allowing a third-party application to connect.
- Your Email Service Provider might have geographical limitations/restrictions.
4. If the 2-factor authentication of your email account is turned on:
In case you have turned on the 2-factor authentication of your email account then you need to generate an app password in the email account that can be used in SalesHandy. Different Email Service providers have different methods of generative app passwords. Follow the steps below to generate an app password for GSuite and Outlook:
- Go to your Google Account.
- On the left navigation panel, choose Security.
- On the "Signing into Google" panel, choose App Passwords. If you don’t see this option:
- 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
- 2-Step Verification is set up for security keys only.
- Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
- You’ve turned on Advanced Protection for your account.
- At the bottom, choose the Select app and choose the app you’re using.
- Choose Select device and choose the device you’re using.
- Choose Generate.
- Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
- Choose Done.
- Once you generate the password use the Password in SalesHandy web app while adding your email account.
- Go to the Security basics page and sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Select More security options.
- Under App passwords, select Create a new app password. A new app password is generated and appears on your screen.
- Enter this app password where you would enter your normal Microsoft account password in the application.
5. If the less secure app is turned off:
Have a look if the less secure app in your Email Service Provider settings is turned in on. Your ESP will not be able to authorize SalesHandy to connect with it if you turn it off.
Check the links below to get the Less secure app option:
- Gmail Less Secure App Settings
- Yahoo Less Secure App settings In case of any other issue, please contact your Email Service provider for the detailed account settings and other limitations.